Do you ever have those days where you go to make a recipe that you had in mind and then you realise you don't have half the ingredients that you needed for it! Well that is what happened with this recipe, i scanned the ingredients of my would be recipe ( A hummingbird cake if you must know) and realised no i did not have any banana to add to my cake and continued down further and realised i did not have any canned pineapple to create my hummingbird cake with! I sat stumped for a few minutes thinking of what i could do! I had promised my hubby that i would make him this treat but to no avail i would have to disappoint! I jumped up and scanned the contents of my pantry to see what i could substitute these items with. I spied at the back of my pantry a lone can of apricot halves... "perfect" i thought that can replace the pineapple! Hmmm what else goes with apricots... i continued scanning my canned goods.. "tinned tuna..?" hmmm maybe not...! Ah ha... I spy with my little eye a can of coconut milk...just what i need! So with these substitutes in hand i went to task to create for my husband an even better cake than the one promised... and i believe i did deliver!
We have heaps of passionfruits on our passionfruit vine at the moment so i thought i would made good use of these delicious little fruits and make a yummy icing to drizzle over the cake to create the "icing on the cake" so to speak.
This recipe is really easy and is a "beat & bake" kinda cake. You add all the ingredients into a bowl, mix, add to pan and voila your done!
400g Can Apricot Halves, if in juice drain.
1 Cup Plain Flour
¾ Cup SR Flour
½ Tsp Bicarb Soda
½ Tsp Cinnamon
½ Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Desiccated Coconut
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Eggs, beaten lightly
3 x Passionfruit
2 – 2 ½ cups Icing Sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees, grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. In a bowl add apricots, sifted flours, soda, spices and sugar.
3. Add coconut milk, desiccated coconut and beaten egg, lightly fold until combined and pour into tin.
4. Cook for about 40 min or until golden brown, set aside to cool.
5. ICING: In a bowl add passionfruit pulp, butter, vanilla and lemon juice. Sift icing sugar into and mix until combined. You may have to add more icing sugar to get a thicker icing consistency.