Are there days that your feet just drag behind you? You can't get into the groove of the day or your energy levels just aren't going above zero? You've woken up on the wrong side of the bed, gone mad looking for your toothbrush, glasses, pen, car keys and it's been in your hand, or on your head, had a bad hair day and you get a BIG zit on the end of your nose!
Day's when nothing seems to go right.... you have a flat tyre before you walk out the door to begin the day, you follow every slow driver when your running late for work and get EVERY red light. Your normal car park is taken and the nearest one is a block away, and as you run that block frantically to work you realised you forgot to bring your lunch........ This is when your in need of a piece of this Trooper Toffee Nut & Oat Square.
Because your going to be "trooping" through the rest of the day after the morning you've just had. A slice of this will boost your energy, it's low GI, gluten free, will give you a sweet hit without the processed sugar and get you through the day! These squares are chocked full of goodness...
Lots of nuts, seeds & oats to keep you full and energized for the day! They would make a good pre-workout snack or even a great snack for the kids in the afternoon to keep there little tummy's full until dinner!
This slice is adapted from Healthy Pursuits recipe which is a bit of a inspirational blog for me at the moment.... you know how it is! You find a good thing , a blog, cookbook etc that inspires you and you have to keep trying, tasting, inventing recipes from that inspiration! So bear with me as I go through this phase! :-)
Trooper Toffee Nut & Oat Squares
*Adapted from Healthy Pursuit Toffee Nut & Seed Squares
1 Cup Butter
¾ Cup Golden Syrup (Or Honey)
¼ Cup Sunflower Seeds
¼ Cup Pepita Seeds
¼ Cup Almonds
¼ Cup Walnuts
¼ Cup Pecans
4 Tbsp Oats
4 Tbsp Raisins or Sultana’s
¼ Cup Shredded Coconut + extra to garnish
*2 Tbsp Protein Powder
1. Line a slice pan with baking paper with the excess paper on the edges for easy lifting. Set aside.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Place golden syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until it reaches a simmer. The honey should begin to foam. This is normal. Just don’t stop stirring.
4. Continue to stir for another 8 minutes. Add butter and turn the heat to the lowest setting. Continue stirring the honey mixture until it begins to thicken, about 2 – 3 minutes.
5. When it gets hard to stir, add the dry ingredients and mix quickly until combined.
6. Immediately drop the hot mixture into the prepared pan and smooth with a damp spatula.
7. Sprinkle some extra shredded coconut on the top to garnish
8. Place in the fridge to cool for at least an hour.
9. Lift out of the pan with the baking paper and cut into squares.
10. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to a month.
Simply Tea Selection
After you've trooped through a bad day another way to relieve the stress and tension of the day is with a good cup of warm tea. That's where Simply Tea can help.... we have an amazing selection of the most wonderful, stress relieving tea's. After a day like the one described above I would most definitely reccomend our Sweet Dreams tea.
It is a delicate infusion of chamomile and spearmint to soothe the nerves, promote relaxation and ease indigestion. Enjoy before retiring.
You can purchase 100g Pouch of this delicious tea for $13.00 or a Sample Bag for $2
Visit Us At: The Simply Tea Shop ~ "For The Love Of Tea" ~